Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lunar Eclipse

I have a Canon PowerShot SX170 IS. I don't know much about the finer points of photography - shutter speeds, ISO, F stops - it's all a mystery to me. I'm much more of a point and shoot picture taker. But I did figure out that I can take a halfway decent picture of the moon with my little camera (and with the help of a tripod). I took this one by manually setting it to 1/125, f/5.6, ISO 400 and 16X zoom.



Trying to get shots of the actual eclipse proved to be trickier and I ended up using the low light setting. Here's a shot of the moon, Spica, and Mars off  to the side.



And here's a tighter shot of just the moon and Spica.


The eclipse shots are noisy - I bet the images could stand some cleaning up with Photoshop. But all in all, I am pretty impressed and it makes me wonder what I can do with this camera if I actually knew what I was doing!

No comments: